Pages

About Me

My photo
Durham, CT, United States

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Cake Boss Continued

Nora turned 7 in the company of a bunch of cake decorating fiends (yeah, and they were also friends). Cake Boss Tara had it all figured out employing an adorable cheese wheel and mice theme and the kids had a great time. It never fails, though, the prep and planning that go into one of these birthday shindigs can generate an awful lot of stress. I try to do my thing and convince myself that I'm not out to top any of the parties of birthdays past. My kids have said often enough that a party they went to was the "best party ever". It does become a competition, but not the kind you might think. I'm not trying to best anyone. I just want my kids to feel like I put in some effort. Of course, I don't do this for the summer or spring birthdays in our family. For those, I leave it to the outdoors and pray for sunshine. Anyway, this subject actually came up during Nora's party. You know, how we parents are forever trying to make it into the birthday party hall of fame with our original ideas. This all comes under a heading I like to call Pottery Barn Kids. I try to put it out of my mind most days, but sometimes I can't help myself and I let the doom settle inside my head. I worry with a heavy heart that the kids being raised by my own generation are headed for big trouble. Entitlement is certainly on the short list of worrisome character traits and throwing fab birthday parties for our little princes and princesses seems like it just might be a very bad idea. By the way, don't miss the sparkly silver crown on the head of my princess.