Pages

About Me

My photo
Durham, CT, United States

Thursday, April 30, 2009

I can't make this stuff up




So after a 9-day cruise through the eastern Caribbean with my family, I am again reminded that the ability to suspend reality is alive and well among our children (mine at least). After five days of cruising, dancing, sporting, swimming, eating, et cetera, we disembarked in St. Thomas where we hopped an open-air bus, and rode for thirty minutes up steep hillsides with nary space for a passing iguana. At last we arrived at breathtaking Coki Beach, known for its incredible reefs ideal for snorkeling and scuba diving. We rented snorkels, masks and fins, and hit the reefs for the rest of the day, feeding dog biscuits to some of the most gorgeous scaled creatures we'd ever seen in the wild. Breaking for lunch, I sat beside my 5 year-old on a lounge chair, toes dug deep into the hot sand, when she asked, "Are we still on the cruise ship?"