Pages

About Me

My photo
Durham, CT, United States

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Filling Time

When I was a kid (and I was born in 1968), I took a baton twirling class, one parks & rec dance class, and then nothing til high school when a friend urged me to go out for field hockey - what a different world my children inhabit. My kids, believe it or not halted by an activity-minimalist mom, have tried gymnastics, t-ball, basketball, soccer, dance, karate, theater and swimming. Holy cow. What next? I spent hours in the woods with my friends and a collective imagination. If we choose the things that fill our kids' lives, we must choose carefully. And if we choose too much, we could rob them of the basic things they might choose for themselves given the opportunity. Time, open space and the freedom to create need to be on their menu everyday.